What Happens in Puerto, Stays in Puerto

It was not just a weekend for me and Alex. Not just a time for sun and sand; nor a stretched moment of sweet relaxation, cold drinks and endless laughter.
It was a game.

...a boy-hunting game.

"Okay, Jenny. I want us to meet cute guys this weekend. Just for fun!"

With a confident tone, Alex looked at me and smiled, making sure that I would go with the flow. She was quite disappointed upon seeing me with a confused gesture.

"Come on, Jenny! It's not like we're gonna make them our boyfriends, no? But that would be another option if you want it that way!" she joked.

"Oooh...alright, Alex! But be sure that this is just for fun! Honestly I'm not into flirting with guys and stuff like that!"

With quite an annoying grin, Alex answered;

"We'll see.."

* * *

"Wake up, Alex! It's beach time!"
The brunet could barely open her eyes; probably because we had a 'late night girl talk' last night. But it was aaaall good. Eastwood city was just amazing. Nevertheless we have to move because we are on our way to paradise!
...and I wasn't surprised with the hot weather in Manila. But the great thing about it is that summer is just about to hit us hard!

Alex and I exited Eastwood by taxi and arrived at the Buendia Terminal for a 3-hour bus ride going to Batangas Port. It was an exhausting travel, but everything turned to excitement when we finally arrived at the beach by boat: turquoise blue water, sail boats everywhere, and people by the sea!

Hunting or hunted?
We were about to ride a jeep going to White Beach when suddenly, a young man wearing shades and a straw hat approached Alex; asking for a lighter for his cigar. And then, when we were about to walk, the man ran after us. I wonder what he wanted this time.
"Hey...I'm Franco. Is it your first time to come here?" he said, smiling.
"Um...yeah," I answered.

He persistently asked for our names so we gave it eventually. And as expected, another magic word was asked again.

"So...can I have your number?"
"Oh, hers?"

But my eyes suddenly widened when he said, "No..yours,"


* * *
The sun was raging hot, as hip hop music and large crowds blended together in the beautiful white beach. It was like chaos, actually. And while the two of us walked towards our resort, a number of men looked at us with seductive eyes.

"It's like Temptation Island in here," I told Alex.
I wasn't actually referring to the topless men around; I was talking about the colorful souvenir shops lining the sidewalks!

And as the two of us rested in our rooms at Nautilus Resort, I sighed as Alex looked at me.

"You see? There are also Filipino guys who get attracted to you! You just deny it!"

"I'm not sure, Alex. But I really thought he was chasing after you, mainly because you're French!"

The perks of Puerto Galera
Puerto Galera isn't just about boy-hunting; it's simply about fun. And what do I love about this beach?

A row of bars and restaurants.
There were so much to choose from, all having average prices. You can eat barbeque, tons of Filipino food, ice cream, ice cold drinks, watch an afternoon show on the TV, and just relax while sipping your favorite fruit shake. You can even ask for burger, fries, spaghetti...even request European food!

Souvenir shops, party people.
Everywhere you go are souvenir shops, literally. From clothes, to hats, bags, accessories, zippos, footwear, dried goods, and even henna shops to decorate your sun-kissed skin!

Beer, beer beer!
Alex and I never got tired of gulping ice cold beer fresh from the bars. Well, it was in the middle of the afternoon and we didn't want to mess up so we made sure we drink moderately. We drank at every hour, from lunch until late afternoon, while watching the people go by!

As the evening slowly approached, the two of us went back to our resort for another girl talk at the balcony. We bought 2 bottles of beer and some munchies, and rested by the table just outside our rooms. It was a long, personal conversation that it took us until 8pm! Not later, Franco texted me, inviting me for a stroll by the beach. Alex and I followed, as the three of us ended at a gay bar where we laughed and watched a group of gay entertainers dancing at the stage!



Videoke Night

I asked the two if we could find some other activity nearby. We ended in this small videoke bar at the edge of the beach, where we also met Franco's friends. Here, we drank more and sang our favorite songs. And just like the usual desperate singer that I was, I sang like crazy! I performed a lot of songs, including "I Will Survive" and Titanic's "My Heart Will Go On!"
It was a hilarious night, but when I began to feel tipsy, Alex already called for bed. Too bad for me!

Some people I met from the videoke bar that night.

Mysterious guy
The next day, Franco invited us for island-hopping. Thinking that this was another flirty plan from the boy, Alex and I hesitated the offer. Besides, Franco wasn't really that interesting; he was all talk. And I'm so thankful that we ditched him because we met a better guy at the beach: Jay.

It started when Alex and I crossed the rocky path of White beach to get to the calmer and more beautiful sea, the Talipanan beach. And while doing so, I noticed a cutie walking in front of me, that seemed to be my age. I followed him and well...spied on him, LOL!
We ended up meeting each other when Alex acted out and ordered me to ask for a lighter from this cutie. I approached him and a few seconds after we were chatting! Alex's smile was terribly huge!

Jay is a mysterious German teenager. Erm..young adult (he's 20). He reads the bible (he's Christian), and currently lives in Pasig to preach to young street children. And although he's a strange young man, he actually caught my heart because he's humble, smart and mature. Take note: MATURE. But too bad for me because I only met him at the beach and I forgot to get his number!

Goodbye, Puerto!
I hate to say it but...it's time to go home!
It was quite sad for my girl friend and I to leave the beautiful paradise because at that time it was the perfect day: crowdless, calm beach, noisy waves, flying birds in the background, sizzling hot cuisine by the sea and lots more.
Alex and I returned to Manila in the afternoon, and safely went back to our dwellings. We will surely miss this island. Especially that all the good, crazy and exciting things that happened in Puerto, will only stay in Puerto. :-)

Check out my Puerto Galera Album here!

Comments

Popular Posts