2010 Highlights

Another year is over---that's just how crazy the speed of time had traveled once again around the world!
I often expected a lot of good things to come in a whole year, like last 2009---it was one of my extreme years. But I never thought 2010 had been even more intense. In fact, there were more rainy days than the sunny days and literally, my first half of the year was a playground. But my next half was a blazing nightmare! But aside from my personal life, I also listed other significant events in my country. Here are some of the things I can still recall:

The Manny Villar candidacy
TV, print, radio...name it. Manny Villar's advertisement was everywhere. Being a filthy rich Filipino senator had become a desperation for Manny, as he wanted to become the President of the world (I mean, the Philippines). Trust me; it wasn't just around the nation--his jingles were even translated in Japanese and Korean!


Japanese-dubbed Manny Villar campaign

Lady Gaga, overrated
During this year, this fashion-freak, jaw-dropping, Madonna-imitation diva had overflown charts around the world. She was cool at first, but as the days passed like everyday meals, Lady Gaga began to fade in my ears.

Even the Japanese are gaga over Gaga

Last days with Erwin
There was once a guy who shared such passion for music, film and the arts with me. I met him in a coincidence, and because we had a lot of things in common the depth of our friendship was like a speed of light. His name is Erwin. If there was one precious memory about him that I'd be proud of, it was when we had a Manila-hopping trip on a cloudy-sunny-rainy September day in 2009. But at this early year he surprised us with his sudden immigration to Canada, which somehow got me...well, sad. And yeah, he's miles away now, busy with his winter wonderland days, discovering so much about his whole new world. I'm happy for his success of course; but I miss his presence. :(



Cafe World Mania
After Farmville and Pet Society, there came a crazy restaurant game called Cafe World. I got so hooked with it because I could imagine myself having my own coffee shop! But above anything else this was a desperate cook's game. I saw myself playing Cafe World everywhere I went!

Facebook, Twitter, Plurk
The booming of online interaction would, and still be found only in these leading sites. And they are growing stronger. The question is, will a new website beat them this year?

English lessons
Being fluent in the English language (as most of them say), I was encouraged by my French friends to teach them grammar, vocabulary and speech. I gladly agreed, and every night after work, I dropped by at the Trainees' house to teach them. I can say, I am really thankful about them (special mention to Alex, Anais and Matthieu) because they gave me confidence, compassion, patience and a love for English. And thanks to this experience, it gave me an opportunity to climb the next level, teaching the language to locals in South Korea through Skype, and earning through Paypal.

March Mania
Among the exciting activities that I did with family and friends, this month was the most exertive. In between 30 days I had a second weekend at Hundred Islands with my French fellows, had gimmicks, sleepovers, shopping and dining with my friend Alex around Manila and Eastwood City, and discovered the rising city of Tarlac with my high school friends as we traveled there through backpacking.

At a fancy grill restaurant called Isdaan at Gerona, Tarlac with my high school friends

Playing Uno
During break times and after work, me and my Filipino colleagues relaxed at the Well-Being Room where we shared our moments together. One of them (Allen) introduced us the mind-blogging card game, UNO. It wasn't long until it became our favorite pastime, not only at the Well-Being Room but everywhere we went!


Job-hunting

My days at ANXA were numbered; I could count them in my mind. Little by little I was getting tired with my job and I wanted to be refreshed with a new workplace. For two months I looked for a job, but I assure you, it was a pain in the ass. Thankfully I found one last May, where I least expected---in a company that I applied to for the 3rd time in 2 years. Was I happy?

Company with Jojo
As I spent the days at my new workplace, my cousin Jojo suddenly got in touch with me again. I guess he missed me! Just like the old days we jammed, watched movies, enjoyed gigs, parties and gatherings together with new friends. It felt like the joys of our yesterdays; and our friendship went deeper.

Me and Jojo

Bruno returns
As once an old friend had left, so he returned. Those were glory days on a February week, spending a day at the beach, watching fireworks together on a Valentine's eve and wasting our time at a cheap spa nearby. But his second return didn't turn out the same, and I guess those were the last moments...no more no less. But he will always be remembered. Just...remembered.

August is bum month
After finishing my short term at my third job, I started anew with career. Unfortunately luck didn't fall into my hands. August was my most idle time of the year, and this gave me a hodgepodge of unpredictable emotions. I applied to every company, agency (and even tried VTR's) but success didn't come. I was down on my knees, praying for a chance to get a life---but I failed. I was bitter, emotionally tortured and literally alone. The spotlight was on me, and my world turned upside-down. Was God testing me?

Online teaching
It was a day on a mid-September when I tried to Google for some opportunities, until a kindhearted individual found my profile online and invited me for a job to teach Koreans online. At first I got uneasy about it because I had little experience in teaching, but I had no choice. Fortunately I passed and until now I've been teaching part-time to some students, and I am loving it. In fact, my employer believed that it wasn't just passion and motivation that got me kicking, but it was pure talent. And I felt blessed to hear that.

Hong Kong trip
For 4 consecutive months, I never found myself a permanent job. At this point my dreams of coming back to Hong Kong in November started to fade. But my sister Chloe didn't give up on me. In fact, it was she who kept the hope alive--and we made it. We made it to Hong Kong!!! I honestly felt like winning the lottery! And during our stay there we spent the moments as if it were the last days of our lives. I even met a gentleman named Andrew Chan who eventually became our dear friend!

Enjoying my cable car ride at Ocean Park in Hong Kong

Late Friday

It was the last month of the year when I was suddenly invited by a friend to join their band, Late Friday. I became a vocalist of the group and we performed a gig at a local bar one night. We spent a lot of good times together especially with our jamming; and we're looking forward for more this year, 2011. Late Friday, let's rock!!!

First gig at the Bullhouse bar, a Southcore project in Las Piñas

The Justin Bieber nightmare
If Lady Gaga became the talk of the town, so was the youngest popular singer, Justin Bieber. His influential music spread the world like mushrooms, and whether we liked him or not, he was...well, popular. You may run away from Bieber, but you can't hide from Bieber. He's just everywhere---like a living nightmare!

Okay, this is Bieber playing Baywatch...er, football at the beach (nobody wants to see those tits)

So these were my highlights of the year. This 2011, I'm hoping that the sun will come out most of the time. I'm claiming for more blessings, lessons and wisdom to achieve more goals. 2010 had been mean to me in the latter months but I believe God had His reasons. And no matter how little I understood why, I'm still thankful I'm alive (..and crazy!!!).

Goodbye, 2010...thank you for the memories. Hello, 2011...BE NICE!!

See you next time! More blog entries to come!

* * *

Comments

Post a Comment

What do you think about Pink's note? Write 'em up!

Note: You don't have to be a member of Blogspot or Google mail to write a comment. ^^

Popular Posts