My Puerto Galera Weekend

Christmas season has left, Valentine's Day is over and summer is fast approaching. I'm back on my knees to hit the beach. Hello, Puerto Galera!

It's my second time at White Beach and I couldn't wait to see one of my favorite paradise escapes. I came there with two of my friends, Paolo and Stella. We met at McDonald's in Alabang and took a bus ride to Batangas Pier at the Muntinlupa terminal. It was a long trip, about 5 hours, from our meeting place to the island itself. And though it was a bit tedious, our eyes feasted on the beautiful turquoise sea and evergreen mountains that decorated the waters.

We took a 2-night stay at a funny resort called Mama Ching's Lodge. Mama Ching sounded a bit like "matsing" or "chimp", that's why I found it a bit hilarious. But the cottage we stayed at was good; the interior was clean, there was cable TV and air-con, and the bathroom was comfortable. There was free drinking water and the staff were polite. All for 900 pesos a night (20.73 USD).

Our day started with a healthful lunch at Friendship Restaurant, where the waitress kept on calling us "friend" or "friendship". She went, "Hey, friend! Try our menu!" or "Hey, friendship! Do you want some drinks?" (Friendship is a gay term for Filipinos who tries to be exaggeratedly nice to people). The three of us ordered roasted pork kebab, sweet chicken barbecue, garlic rice and grilled vegetables. Stella craved for some mango juice because there was rarely a thing in France!

We spent the afternoon looking for a perfect spot where there were a few people. I recommended Talipanan beach where I spent most of my time last year with another French friend, Alex. It was tough to get there though because we had to cross a series of boulders to get to the serene beach. But we made it anyway.

Me and Stella at Talipanan beach

Nightlife with the lady boys
During the day, people scatter around the beach to swim, sun bathe, play volleyball and other recreation. At night the fun goes on but with a different beat. There's fire dances, bar-hopping and the lady boys' freak shows!
Last year I remember it was only a simple dance number of these gay men. Now they have various costumes and eye-popping performances. Most of them wore kinky dresses and neon swimsuits that almost revealed their private parts. Even the foreigners were shocked!

Snorkeling at Sandbar Resort
The next day, Stella suggested us to go snorkeling somewhere nearby. But since the activity was a bit expensive, we tried to look for companions. Good thing a man named Lowell approached us and offered us a cheap price. We paid 1,500 Pesos (34.44 USD) for the boat ride, the tricycle going to Sandbar Resort and the snorkeling fun. It was my highlight of the weekend because we saw the beauty of Puerto Galera and had a good experience feeding the colorful fishes underwater.

The Dozed, the Crazy Woman and the Magic Wallet
It wasn't just the baklas (gay entertainers) who freaked out the nights; there's also the popular "Mindoro Sling", a local drink made of citrus juices and vodka that made us crazy each evening. Well, I'd say it didn't really hit Stella and Paolo--it was I who easily got knocked down!

During the first night we ordered a pitcher and as I took my fourth shot I already got drunk! Stella and Paolo even teased me to dance publicly at the bar and to their surprise I did! And as the evening lasted, they paid it using this black wallet that they thought was mine. They realized they unconsciously took money from another person! And oh, how they wished for the black magic wallet to return (we almost paid nothing on the first night). The second night came and we met a woman named Marlyn who came along with 2 gay nephews. Marlyn was literally so crazy that she also danced publicly (while eating roasted peanuts), treated us another pitcher of Mindoro Sling, and had a penis henna tattoo embarked between her breasts! We swear we will never forget those lunatic nights. But as Marlyn often stated, "What happens in Puerto stays in Puerto!"


Goodbye, White Beach
It's the third day, and we're leaving.
Just like a desperate traveler, I looked at the wide, stunning beach with a sad face. I hate to go..but I had to!
And as the three of us rode the boat to return to Batangas Pier, I dramatically gazed at the amazing island and wander while the view slowly faded. I'm back to Manila and I'm gonna miss Puerto Galera again.

Well, this ain't the end. Summer is just about to begin, and there's more adventures to go!
* * *
Check out my album about my Puerto Galera Weekend! Click here!

Photobucket

Comments

  1. wow didn't see this !!! i miss u and puerto !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, do you have contact number of Mama Ching's Lodge? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think about Pink's note? Write 'em up!

Note: You don't have to be a member of Blogspot or Google mail to write a comment. ^^

Popular Posts