First week at my new workplace

After eight months of waiting for the right opportunity, I finally found my next career at an online game publishing company somewhere in Makati. It popularizes interactive, massive-multi-player online role-playing games (MMORPG) and action games fresh from South Korea. And what I loved about this company was not just the nature of the products, but my job itself. I was hired as a free-hand illustrator/graphic designer for the promotion of its innovative products. And not only that, I get exposed to various events such as the launching of new games, free local band concerts, cosplay competitions and other media-related activities. This is the job that I always wanted!

Most of the company conventions are held at the SMX center beside SM Mall of Asia, Pasay City


First Day
It was crazy to feel so anxious about the entire thing just a week before my actual day at the company. It was probably because I would finally be back to the corporate world. But what even thrilled me more was the feeling of uncertainty among my colleagues-to-be: would they be the friendly tribe or a bunch of bullies threatening noobs? (Take it from my former experiences at some of my ex-workplaces) But thank God when that day came; there were some who put a smile on their face. One of them was Mech, a shy guy who offered me my permanent seat and prepared my desktop. There were a number of guys who teased me for some reason, but I didn't mind. What do you expect from guys who saw a cute newcomer? XD

Soon my friend Justine arrived. But instead of greeting me a warm "Hello", he taunted me with a comic voice saying, "OooOooh, nandito ka na pala!" ("OooOoh, so you're finally here!")
Yep, this guy is my friend who I met because of his older cousin who happened to be one of my peers. My sis and I oftentimes call him Bruce Lee because of his hairstyle and body figure (well...somewhat 'body figure' LOL)

Lunch time
During the week I had lunch-outs with my friends who happened to work at the nearby buildings, but oftentimes I spent my afternoon meals with my team who were all boys. Yep, I'm the only girl in the group and it's kind of awkward sometimes, knowing that I'm the different gender and yet the 2nd eldest of the group (our boss is the 'grandpa' of the Creatives Team XD)

Our building was so convenient that almost all the preferred restaurants were there, convenience stores, cigarette stands, Starbucks coffee, ATMs, bakeries and even a gym!

Makati by day...

...and at night :-)

The workplace

The office looked small, coming from the receptionist area; but as I came inside the office it seemed to be huge for a private local company---there were several rooms that I never thought would be placed in a certain area but they were cozy enough. We have the rooms for all departments, a pantry with a Nescafe coffee maker that never works (LOL) and a video room for its TV show that is aired in a local channel. I just love how the posters were attached on the walls---it really offered a gaming atmosphere. There were only a few office rules, although Facebook is blocked, I can still access most of the popular interactive sites like Deviant Art, Blogger.com and Youtube.

The video room

There is a dress code
and sometimes we are required to wear smart casual but at least there were no uniforms. Regular employees were given an official shirt jack which is cool (I love shirt jacks---especially that they're covered with all the game logos), and during promotional events the regulars are obliged to wear them (which is even cooler!)

Travel time
It takes two exhausting hours of travel time from my home to the office, but as an adventurer I enjoy the rough ride. Every Mondays and Wednesdays I am forced to take the FX because of the heavy traffic (terminals offer public vans or "FX", a truck-like air-conditioned vehicle in the Philippines), as Mondays are the busiest day of the week and Wednesdays are 'holy days' of the Catholics who attend mass at the church in Baclaran City somewhere in Manila. I spend the rest of my journey days riding the bus which is more fun because oftentimes I stay at the window seat and listen to my favorite songs in my I-pod.

The Baclaran church which I never thought would be this nice despite its dirty location in the city

The complicated city of Baclaran (which is even dirtier in real life)

..and the GT Express Garage terminal ride, the FX I'm talking about :D

So far my first few days at this company is enjoyable. I may only have a few friends for now but I'm sure I'll get to meet more. I'm also hoping that I stay longer and learn more; in fact I already love the job right from the start!

Comments

  1. Nice blog! If you're looking for a condo near in your workplace try to visit Condo in Manila.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think about Pink's note? Write 'em up!

Note: You don't have to be a member of Blogspot or Google mail to write a comment. ^^

Popular Posts