Street signs, street love

Have you ever wondered about a guardian angel keeping an eye on you wherever you go? I did, when I was in my younger years; most especially because parents of the 90s told us kids that there were these 'unseen friends' watching us for safety.

Now at my tender stage of adulthood, I still believe in miracles. Stepping aside from being religious, I believe God also makes his mysterious moves--the street way. He pokes my conscience and gives me hope by making me notice random signs in the urban that relates to a specific situation I'm going through--signs that I refer as reminders or yet, street love!


"Love what you do." I remember one busy morning in Makati, I was off to work. However my heart wasn't set for it. I was exhausted, panicky and complaining because of all the stress I felt a few weeks ago. I was even thinking of quitting. In my mind I told myself, "I wanna get out of this job--I'm tired. I don't feel this career anymore."
I unconsciously looked at the windshield of the public van I rode, and there I saw a job advertisement in the bus that read, "Love what you do", and beside that tagline was a happy woman dressed in a business attire--jumping, laughing. Her smile affected me. Her eyes looked at mine as if she was saying, "Dude--not everyone has a job. Be thankful you have one. LOVE WHAT YOU DO."

She was right. After all, if not with my job at this online gaming company, I wouldn't learn how to use the graphic pen. If not for this company my resume wouldn't be better--and I wouldn't get the awesome new job that I have right now!


"You are beautiful".
Like most drama queens in the world, I too, scream about my appearance. Sometimes I question myself why I put too much makeup on my face. I feel naked without it. I think I'm ugly without it! And mostly, I wonder why there wasn't a Filipino guy noticing my beauty--or if ever one did, he was too shy to get close to me, or admit his feelings, or make a move, or just...TALK TO ME! (What's wrong with these dweebs!???) Maybe those were the reasons why I prefer the white guys--they're much bolder and manlier than those losers.

And so, every time I come out from work, the damsel-in-distress in me looks up in the starry sky, sauntering the busy streets as I watch corporate lovers walk along the fancy restaurants nearby, while others ride the public bus together--looking at each other with holding hands. In my mind I was like, "WHAT THE HEEEELLL!!! Why can't I be like that!??"

Reality check--I move on, walk like there's no tomorrow, dreaming like I'm Belle, the main character of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, waiting for her prince charming to suddenly tap her shoulder and say, 'hi".

Oh. I did say reality check.

Now I'm in the bus, watching the people outside while I sat by the window as a small roach crawls across the broken glass. I tried not to scream, but the fat man beside me was taking too much space and I couldn't move. I had to pretend that the bug wasn't there.
Then as I gazed back at the window I saw these moving lights from a famous salon that read, "You are beautiful." No matter how much I doubted myself, this random sign reminded me that I have a healthy life, a complete body and a beautiful face given by my parents. Somehow it reminded me that my features are pretty after all, no matter the broken relationships I experienced in the past.



Specific names in jeepneys.
Like other locals and tourists of Manila, I enjoy looking at jeepney banners. Aside from the unique and funny designs of this crazy vehicle, the huge names on the front make it the asset of the ride. I play with my imagination as I read familiar names like Daniel, Joshua, Carlos and Bruno to mention a few. Sadly there was not a "Michel" among those jeeps that I saw. That name was quite special to me. :-)



Map of Australia.
Even when I was a child, I already dreamed of journeying the world. One of the countries is Australia. But no matter how much I love to move to that beautiful place, the dream is still a dream. I waited for years, tried hard to apply for a job there, but to no luck. I guess I wasn't meant for Australia.
Then one night, riding a bus coming from Ortigas, I watched the long vehicle approached Mall of Asia, the biggest mall in the Philippines, as it stopped for a few minutes for more passengers. The Christmas lights attracted me and I told my friend, "Wow, look at those colors!" But out of the blue, the huge globe in front of the mall flickered its moving lights, catching my attention. The first thing I saw on that globe--was the map of Australia.




"Think God." Not everyone in the world believe there is a God. It's a saddening truth. People depend on their own wisdom; people--waste their lives on guilty pleasures. But even the faithful lose faith. Like me.
There are so many challenges in life, and most of the time I want to just give up. I tell myself how much of a failure I am. I rank myself very poorly sometimes, I dwell on negative thoughts. My mind is crowded with dark images and lifestyle.

One sunny afternoon I rode an FX going to Makati. I sat by the window like always--to look for signs, hoping that God would show me something unique. I think all advertisements are the same: sexy billboards, mouth-watering foods, beautiful people, moving lights. But moving lights are only attractive at night. That moment I told God, "Give me a new sign. Something that will change my mindset today." Then, the unexpected billboard came: "Think God."


Street signs are never new to our eyes. But it still thrills us when these signs unintentionally reminds and helps with our current situations. I'm sure you experience being poked by these non-living angels. And I'm pretty much sure most of you enjoy noticing their ponders, just like I do!



* * *

Comments

Popular Posts