Reminiscing 50 First Dates

It took an hour of girl talk between me and my chum, Josephine this morning.

From career topics, going to matters of the heart, to books, birthday celebrations, getaway plans and charities. Name it.
But what caught Josephine's ears was the clingy background music playing in my house. It was Jason Mraz's "Melt with You", one of my favorite tracks from the movie, "50 First Dates."

"Now that you've mentioned it, have you watched it yet?" I asked.
"Sure I did! It's a great movie. Have you?"
"No I haven't,"
Josephine gasped a bit. "Oh, you're missing a good movie. You've got to see it. It's about a guy who tried his best to win the girl's heart by making her remember his entire identity..all about chasing the woman."

"All about chasing the woman," I repeatedly told myself in my mind.

Now to tell you honestly, I'm not really a fan of love stories and chick flicks, but it challenges me to see one, if I think it'd be worth it.

That afternoon, I tried watching it to see how 'good' it really was. And my opinion? Here goes:

So-so prologue
As every Hollywood movie should be expected, prologues must play an important role. There must be excitement, curiosity and interest in every scene of the beginning. Unfortunately, this movie failed me a bit. It had a common introduction, showing Adam Sandler as a playboy who works in the aquarium. Most love stories are usually composed of a main character who has wild obsessions with women, and Adam (AKA Henry, in the movie) was one of them.

The first few scenes of the movie were quite predictable, where man meets numerous ladies before he encounters the one in his life. There's love at first sight, boy chases girl, boy loses girl, and goes on.

A little twist
What made the story interesting though was the fact that Lucy (Drew Barrymore) had a problem with her memory, which created a challenging conflict for Henry. Still, there were moments that remained anticipating such as the sweet moments and the courtship scenes. In the middle of the story there was another twist that would later destroy the couple's romantic path. Admittedly, if not for these twists, the movie would turn out to be a total bore.

Understanding the message
I might be a little biased and cruel for not really being impressed with the movie, but what I liked about it was the message: Learning how to love somebody even at their worst. Lucy's situation might be too Hollywood-ish, but reality checking, real love is tested through the roughest, ugliest, most-disgusting situations. The movie actually gave me a lesson and encouraged me how to accept and love somebody at the point of almost losing one's faith. And faith, as I mentioned, should be the last thing standing.


My rating:


Comments

Popular Posts