My life as an artist

Drawing has become one of the biggest impacts of my life. It has shaped my artistic soul and creativity since childhood. Like every young individual in the world, I started with stick people, box-type cars, trees, a rainbow (with clouds on both ends), the sun, moon, and the stars. I think they're all every child's subject. And like everyone else, I drew on walls, papers, books, raincoats, bed sheets, other people's clothes, and even some appliances!


While other parents scold their innocent toddlers, my father had a different perspective. He thought that this could be one of the greatest potentials I would achieve in the future. So he bought me and my siblings a huge box of chalk where we could freely draw on every surface at home. It was an unforgettable memory, especially that we had enough liberty to express every detail in our minds. And he was right---it did bring me to a deeper journey.


It wasn't long until Disney cartoons became a hit in Manila. My big sister and I became a huge fan of lovely princesses and mermaids. We began collecting pictures, stickers, and storybooks where we could copy the illustrations of the characters. Eventually we learned how to draw them, and we became popular in school for having the talent to draw Disney characters. That was the time my teachers invited me to join junior art contests. It was my first experience in kindergarten, and my mom became so proud when I won first prize. She then encouraged me to participate more in competitions.

As each year passed, my skill evolved to illustrating dinosaurs, ordinary people, abstract art, backgrounds, and other forms of art. I nailed it in various contests in my community. Later in 5th grade, anime became famous in the Philippines. I got inspired drawing characters of Dragon ball, Sailor Moon, and Yu Yu Hakusho, which were also my favorite. I later became a part of the designing team in the classroom and other school events. Some of my male classmates even had a crush on me because of my potential. It was rather funny and shallow, but this was one of the fun parts of growing up. 

 Sailor Jupiter, one of the characters of Sailor Moon. Done in poster paint.

 
In elementary I joined the Art Club and was voted as president for two consecutive years. I was nominated in high school as a Humanities professor on Teachers' Day and during my graduation in 6th grade I brought home the “Artist of the Year” award.

Being an illustrator was actually a big thing in my early years, but not really in high school. This was the stage where bullies sprouted like mushrooms. Believe it or not, I was one of the victims. As a 'part-time loner' who often drew on a piece of paper or notebook when the teacher was out, most of the punks mocked me for being weird and stuck on my “stupid animated imaginations”. They named me as “Dragon girl” or “Sailor Moon” and laughed at my drawings. At that time it somehow killed my inspiration. I thought they were right for calling me stupid and childish. Although it never ceased me from drawing, a part of me despised myself for being an anime freak. I began to isolate myself more, and stayed at home on weekends to continue this passion alone. Nevertheless there were still those who admired my ability. There were “freaks” and unpopular ones who loved art, drawing, and anime like I did. And they supported me in reviving my inspiration.

The experience was quite similar in college---minus the bullying. People somehow matured in this stage, but I still often find myself being detached; probably because most people yet find me strange for being an anime enthusiast. During my college years I worked part time as an editorial artist and poetry writer in our school paper. I still cooperated in art activities in and out of the campus. Eventually I found people who shared identical interests.

When I grew older, I became busier and my social life increased. I matured every year, and as I did, I gradually forgot about drawing. Some of my friends asked me why I stopped, but I didn't know how to answer them.

Now that I'm 30, I began to realize about the value of my talents. One of them was drawing, because this gave me an identity. This was the one that shaped me the most.

I've never been much happier until I held my brushes and paint again. When I looked at my old drawings I remembered all the good memories. I never understood how special I really was for having this amazing talent. I may not be the greatest artist in the world, but there were those who considered me as one, and two of them were my parents, who never gave up on me.

So now I carry on, enjoying life, appreciating myself and being proud for having a special talent in drawing. As long as I live I will continue to draw, to remind me of how it made me a somebody---a young lady who is named as “Dragon girl” with an attitude, and “Sailor Moon” with a story. 



Comments

Popular Posts