Tsuitachi: First Day Funk

It was my very first day at work in high school. I woke up as early as 5 in the morning, thinking that any time later than that would put an end to this dream career. I remembered clearly how late I was when I did my demonstration during the training in Narita a few weeks ago (arriving at the exact time is considered late in Japan), and I can never forgive myself if I commit the same crucial mistake again. 

Anyway, as my senpai Nozomi-san had mentioned, arriving at exactly 8 AM is no big deal so I took her advice.


It was a rainy day. Drizzling, should I say, but it felt like a storm was about to appear. Although it did, I heard that this 'little rain' was just one of the ordinary days here in Hokkaido. So I drove off to school and as I parked my car, everyone looked at me like an alien about to land planet Earth. A group of students observed me and talked with each other, obviously gossiping about me. The whole scene looked like a movie, as I entered the hallway, clumsily taking off my boots like an exchange student who knew nothing about Japanese school traditions. In Japan, you have to take off your shoes on the ground and lift each foot, carefully wearing the indoor shoes afterwards. Gladly I brought my own indoor shoes because the available pairs at the front were the size of Goliath's family. They're probably for the enormous gaijin (foreigner) visitors, or I'm just really a small lady. 


かわいい!  かわいい!
"Kawaii! Kawaii!" Some of the girls commented. I knew they were talking about me, for I know I am a kawaii lady.

"You're so cute!" One of them called for my attention. I saw them discussed about how to say it in English, and it was flattering to hear it from them.

ありがとうございます!
"Arigatou gozaimasu!" I replied in a shy manner. (Readers here who know me well would think I'm a hypocrite for acting shy because really, I'm not!)

I couldn't help but act like a total newbie, for in fact, everything going on before my eyes was new. I looked for a space for my boots and to my (slight) surprise, the young ladies helped me cheerfully. They were all kawaii as well!

Teachers' Room
I hesitated to open the door at first, but one lady inside the room showed an expression saying "Please come in." Slowly I walked in, and as expected, each head turned to my direction 'quietly'. My JTE welcomed me and showed me to my table. I was still clueless, my eyes bulging in both curiosity and fear. (That was probably normal to anyone who walks in a room where nobody speaks his language) And there he was. That guy in one corner, with a mysterious look on his face. He't not that cute, but there's something about his aura that caught my attention since I came to this campus on a Friday afternoon. I still didn't know his name at this moment, but the surly expression and observant eyes made me want to creep into his identity.


A typical Japanese Teachers' Room photo by http://sarainjapan.blogspot.jp

Orientation Day
Miss sensei instructed me to follow another sensei to the gym at 8:30AM. Unlike other teachers, she is the smallest and probably the shy type among them. When the bell rang, we all gathered together at the sports gym, as the teachers formed a line on a corner. I stood beside her as I was told so. And there he was again. That face. I think I couldn't stop looking, but I had to pretend with little interest. In fact, that wasn't really what I came here for. (And all the readers would say, "REAAAALLY!???")

After a few minutes of the Kochou-sensei's greetings, all the teachers were called to the stage. I was the last in line, and I didn't want to screw up so I carefully looked at the stairs and walked. Each of us had our own speech, and when it was my turn, my legs suddenly shook. "Not now," I told myself. This shouldn't be a disaster. I stood up before the microphone (Thank God there was no mic feedback) and everything turned to silence, like God's Judgment Day. And as I have always wanted in life, my simple wish was granted---all eyes were on me.



みんなーさん "Minna-san," 

That was a long pause. (My mind shut down for a few seconds)

おはようございます.  "Ohayou gozaimasu." 

All eyes still on me.
おはようございます. 
"Ohayou gozaimasu," the students finally replied; some offering that curious look, while others smiled in awe. 

はJenniferです.マニラ,フィリピンからきました...
"Watashi wa Jennifer desu. Manila, Philippines kara kimashita..." I continued on, and my shaking legs distracted me. I couldn't think of any more Japanese sentences! Come on, think...THINK!"


京極は...
"Kyogoku wa..."

京極は素晴らしいです. 楽しいです.
"Kyogoku wa subarashi desu. Tanoshii desu."

And then I translated what I just said. 
"Hello, everyone. Good morning. My name is Jennifer. I live in Manila, Philippines. Kyogoku is a very wonderful place. A beautiful place. It's exciting. 

And then my closing remarks.

どぞよろしく .
"Dozo yoroshiku." And I bowed. There was complete silence.

And although the hall was filled with deafening silence, I felt the aura of the room brightened up.

To be continued... 

Read Part Two here!

   

Comments

Popular Posts