First time in Hokkaido? Part 2: Winter Wonderland




"Oh..my.."

Those were the first two words I said in my mind when I saw the pile of snow along the roads of Chitose, going to Kyogoku.

"...God!"

And that was the third.

"If there would be a place in Japan that would be literally covered in thick layers of snow, it's definitely Hokkaido," according to some people I've recently met. But during those times I barely had an idea how it really meant; most especially that I lived in a tropical country for 30 years. Now I understand what they were talking about.


It was on a late March this year when I first stepped on Hokkaido's ground. Mountains surrounding the airport appeared like blue humps blanketed with confectionery sugar. In fact, the entire town was literally white--which, I only saw in movies and postcards. 
 The view on my way to Hokkaido

 Mount Yotei on my trip by bus

 Mt. Yotei as seen from my window


Snow drops as early as November and gradually ends in April. I remembered the day I was caught in a snowy afternoon, where flakes of icicles seemed like feather-weight dust floating on thin air. And though it looked pretty and romantic, it never felt comfortable especially when strong winds blew into my face. It was terribly cold, and it heaped up in minutes.
It was afternoon after school and I was walking towards my car to drive back home. Unexpectedly, snow came falling out of nowhere, continuously filling up the place in seconds. It shivered my bones! And worse, I didn't have a shovel to remove the white particles on my windshield and side mirrors. I had to use my hands to do it!

One of the most dangerous things about winter in Hokkaido is getting caught in a blizzard while on the road. There  was also one night when I was driving home from the supermarket. It was a rainy evening, and since it was a countryside, there were few post lights that provided an illuminated road. The winds were so strong, it was literally pushing my car sideways. I had to keep my stirring wheel on its place or I'd be in trouble. Suddenly the rain splashed harder onto my windshield. The hot air inside the car became vapor, making the windshield blurry. Back then I knew nothing about car heaters, for they never exist in my country. I only knew how to use the cooler. The rain poured even harder so I slowed down. I was almost about to cry because I could barely see a thing and my car was bumping the ledges of the sidewalks. Luckily I reached home safely. 
But of course, Hokkaido isn't all about snow and dying in winter. There are also many things to enjoy during the cold. People young and old, rich and middle-class, can appreciate recreations like skiing and snowboarding. In fact, it is the product of this prefecture. As every Japanese local comments, "Hokkaido has the best powder-textured snow and the most colorful four seasons."

I haven't experienced Hokkaido entirely yet, as it is only my 6th month living here. But I can't wait to feel it with my own hands and feet, and see it with my naked eyes. Summer has finally ended; fall is on its way. And winter at its finest? That I have to find out this year!   


Check out my Hokkaido posts here!
 

Comments

Popular Posts