Backpacking: The Jenny Way

Everybody loves to travel; depending upon people's taste and style. Some people prefer the sophisticated way, others depend on the program-based tour packages. But nothing beats the cheapest, craziest and most-audacious way of touring the world---backpacking.

Me and a native Ifugao posing with the Banawe Rice terraces on the background


Inside former President Marcos' Coconut Palace


Posing with the crazy monkey statues at Isdaan Grill in Gerona, Tarlac


Relaxing at the incredible Talipanan Beach in Puerto Galera


Snorkeling under the blue waters of Hundred Islands


Invading the sacred tombs of Lumiang Cave in Sagada


Discovering the mysterious marble formations of the Sumaguing Cave in Sagada


Eating native food served in a bamboo stem during a camp night in Sagada


Trekking the endless mountains of the Cordilleras


Fooling around and under the gigantic Tapia Falls of Banawe


Enjoying the spot beside the active crater of Taal Volcano

Backpack traveling is simple and affordable, but take heart; it is a risk-taking experience. Well, come on---this is what real adventure is all about!

The year was 2008 when my journey started in several tourist spots of the Philippines; thanks to my French colleagues and buddies. At first I knew nothing about it, but as time went by I learned and appreciated it in many ways. I attained wisdom in spending my pocket money, adjusting my time, managing my itinerary and enjoying my travels for less. And most-importantly, the joy of understanding cultures and admiring God's wonderful creation keeps growing.

Several voyagers have their own traveling strategies. But let me tell you some of the things I consider in backpacking:

Part One: Before the Journey

Before I start with my travels, I make sure I secure a map. The more professional and accurate, the better. For the meantime I focus on local traveling so I brought home an updated map of the Philippines which is the size of Aladdin's magic carpet. (Now you can imagine how I read that map at home XD) Thanks to my friend Sybil, who gave it as a gift on a Christmas party. Don't get me wrong; I don't use that outdoors! I have a bigger map for household use and a smaller size for the travels.
Providing a detailed map helps you know the specific places near your destination of choice, the travel time, and other important information. Maps like these are essential, especially if you're going to a certain place for the first time. Now I don't usually buy maps in shops because I believe as a backpacker, the rule is to be always on the budget side. As much as possible, I look for the cheapest sources which are found in used magazines, books and the internet.

Another important rule is to carefully research. Finding facts about my destination is practical as it will save time and money. Some important information I research about are cheap accommodations (take note: VERY cheap accommodations), hotel reviews, tourist spot reviews, climate and weather conditions, budget money needed, transportation (and their easiest location), and of course, the activities to do in that area.
Although accuracy is a big key to safe traveling, I make sure I don't research everything about the place. I'd prefer to discover the secrets when I get there!

Budgeting. Most people think that traveling is expensive. But how expensive do you think is a beach weekend in Hundred Islands for P1,500 (30 USD)? That includes all transportation, complete meals for 2 days and 1 night, souvenirs and the whole adventure at the islands itself.


The key is proper research. I skip tour packages all the time not just because it's tedious but it doesn't guarantee me pure enjoyment during the tour (and who likes to travel with a huge crowd of strangers following you around!?)
My cheapest backpack budget starts from P1,500 (a day tour or a whole weekend) and sums up to P4,000* (80 USD) for a 5-day adventure. And yup; everything is an all-in deal from my house going to my destination, and vise-versa.

*Luzon areas only.

Escape with buddies, old and new. I'm never a lone traveler. Although it could be the peak of being a true vagabond, I know for sure that I am a tiny, skinny woman and exploring alone could be dangerous. So I confirm that I bring along company (preferably men) for security reasons; and I travel with at least 3 companions or a maximum of five. Seven people for me is already a big crowd. A small community of backpackers lead to a deeper friendship and pure enjoyment during the trip. And it saves money. :-)
I toured in Bataan (South of Manila) once with two ladies who happened to be my high school friends. It was fun, but the risk was always present. There were times when we had to walk alone in the dark, looking for a tricycle ride in the middle of a lone forest to get us back to our resort. My friends were already scared because the night was getting fast and we only had our flashlights to provide us with so little light. I swear I will never do that again!

The countryside of Bataan

Morong Beach


The Pawikan festival celebrated every November

Aside from bringing along old fellows for a budgeted exploration, I never forget to invite newly-met friends and first-timers who also wanted to experience backpacking with me. This adds more spice to the adventure especially that it gives me more joy in meeting people and sharing them the experience that I always love.

Click here for Part 2!

Comments

Popular Posts