Backpacking: The Jenny Way (Part 2)

My previous blog about backpacking explains my point of view about the thrills of real adventure. I discussed about my first few strategies in traveling which are using maps, researching and budgeting. Now it's time to pack up and move!



Packing up
Packing up is obviously the next step in the journey. It's important to know how much you need to store up in your bag. The one-backpack-policy, as I call it, helps me keep track of my things, prioritize my schedule, avoid unnecessary delays and provide enough space for the precious souvenirs. It's also a no-brainer to pack-up in advance; like two days before your actual trip. And when you put your things altogether, make sure you only do this ONCE. If you tend to be forgetful, list down the things you need to bring. The basic stuff I take with me are a few set of clothes fit for the weather, lots of underwear (3 times more than the days of travel), sanitary, mosquito repellent, a small medical kit, a pocket flashlight, a pair of slippers, my MP3 player and digital camera, and a small notebook to list down my expenditures and itineraries that I could later share in my travel blog. Of course when I hit a body of water I bring along my swimsuit and a snorkel set to complete my day.

My first travel bag. :D

During the travel
Exploring the world doesn't start when you arrive at the destination. It actually begins on the first step! That's why most of the time I keep my eyes open even in the first bus or plane that I'll ride. And you guessed it right; I always take the window seat and waste time taking pictures of the view outside, like a curious child who traveled for the first time.


As I come to my first few destinations, I try out things I never did before. Some of them are preparing my own taho*, eating all various street food available, tasting the town's native delicacies, dining at carinderias instead of the tedious restaurants that could also be seen in Manila, riding a carabao, riding a tiny bicycle, throwing dishes onto the wall, greeting all the townspeople in a certain area, singing at a public videoke bar, toasting a glass of beer with the locals, NOT TAKING A BATH for a few days (sometimes it is needed during my extreme trips!), performing an intermission number in an open variety show before a huge crowd of strangers, kayaking the sea without a tour guide, babysitting the innkeeper's kids, urinating in the middle of the forest, and hitchhiking. But please; if you think you'd be in trouble doing this, DON'T DO IT!

*Taho, a soybean delicacy in the Philippines, usually eaten early in the morning.

Yep..that's my shoe, alright. It just died.


Taking pictures with a story. One of my best friends in traveling aside from my buddies and my pocket flashlight, is my digital camera. It's not a professional HD handy cam; it's just a simple red Sony Cybershot that I bought as a personal reward one Christmas season. It's perfect enough to cover my cowgirl venture. Oh, and not to forget my tripod which is helpful for my landscape and vanity shots!
I usually take pictures of the fascinating views that I travel every moment, whether it be a bodacious turquoise sea of Zambales, a simple photo in an ancient mansion or even my rubber shoe that lost its sole during my Manila-hopping. For me, every moment creates a meaningful story. Even street names or unusual things that would remind me of my friends or a past event gives me excitement in taking pictures.


Mojo grill and restaurant on my way to Banawe XD

Lastly, it's important that we enjoy. The purpose of traveling isn't just about discovery; it is also about being happy of the outcome of our trips. And we don't just have fun with our friends; we also enjoy meeting new companions.

Jump shot on top of Mt. Daguldol in Batangas

So, these are some of the factors I consider during my backpacking. I hope this encouraged you to try my cowgirl strategy. In fact, you can probably do more. Have fun and keep traveling. The journey is in your hands!

The End!

Comments

Popular Posts