Poetry Review: Little Guitar Man

It had been quite a while that I haven't created a masterpiece in poetry. There are actually two reasons why I successfully write one. One, I am heartbroken. Two, I am heartbroken. Seriously! I feel a bit bad because I couldn't create something very dramatic for now because I am in high spirits right now! (Oh, God forbid another broken heart!)

Anyway, cutting the drama, let's move on to my first poetry review entitled, "Lil' Guitar Man." This poetry is about my ex crush a few years back. Obviously he got the hots for the musical strings. An ex-colleague and co-artist, I first met him in an online art sharing site called Deviant Art. We became friends for a long time. Not later, yeah, we also worked at the same workplace and the rest is history.


The first stanza talks about the girl who tries to catch the guy's attention. And she pretty much thinks that he doesn't know she exists.

The second stanza reveals the girl, reminiscing about all the good things she did for the guy, but still no luck. I don't fully remember what was that tea all about (because it was quite a long time ago)...so, sorry I couldn't really explain it. I think it was a date, but if I'm not mistaken it didn't push through because he was making alibis (probably because he really didn't want to date the girl at all.)

The third stanza evidently explains about the "third party". She is disappointed because she notices his eyes on another woman. The "other" woman is actually his new crush who happens to be a famous singer. The girl is disappointed because she knew her friendship with that guy is much longer than that new girl he admires.

The sixth stanza tells about this girl, asking him what was wrong. It appears that the girl has this strong personality, and an awkward attitude. ("Do I sing out of tune?") This line doesn't literally pertains to her with a bad singing voice, but with a very unattractive trait.  That is until she realizes that all her efforts were not given appreciation, and she was not enough.

"A shadow of your dream" explains about the girl, being the "shadow", or the "outcast" in the guy's life. Every person has a dream, but a "shadow of a dream" explains about an unimportant role of the guy's goal--something he would least likely pay attention to.

So why the picture of a bard? A bard symbolizes a classical musician in the Renaissance. The Little Guitar Man represents a very classical musician, with a simple life but brings a dramatic touch to his talents. A bard brings entertainment to a king's royal guests. The guy in the poem is an extraordinary guitarist and he brings joy to some famous people and big-time audiences. 

And why "Lil' Guitar Man?" Simple. He isn't tall. Hahahah!

Comments

Popular Posts